At Texas Hydraulic, we provide a fully stocked and equipped repair facility manned by a highly qualified group of technicians. But before you visit our Dallas-Fort Worth full-service repair facility, you might opt to try to solve the problem on your own.
We completely get, which is why we have written the guide below for troubleshooting the hydraulic liftgate on your truck. Here are a few of the most frequent causes of a malfunctioning box truck liftgate.
The next most likely culprit, if your motor is operating and everything else appears to be in working order, is low battery voltage. To determine whether the battery is the problem, try using a booster. As advised by the manufacturers, always make sure the truck is running before using the liftgate. If the booster doesn’t fix the problem, you could need to replace the battery; in that case, it’s advisable to seek out experts for OEM parts and skilled installation.
Make sure the hydraulic reservoir oil level is within the permitted range for your particular model by checking the level. If the level is too low, it will be difficult for the gate to raise itself to deck height. The suggested fluid level can be found in the owner’s manual for your liftgate. The liquid will purge from the reservoir’s breather cap if the tank is overfilled. Run the gate several times to drain all extra fluid.
If the problem is a squeaking sound, it is probably due to a lack of lubrication or issues with the power unit’s internal gears, pulleys, or sprockets. For chains or pivot points, try using a lubricant made for lift gates. If that doesn’t address the problem, you might need to rebuild or replace the pump.
In This Article...
Can a power lift gate be opened by hand?
You can manually push the liftgate up to the maximum open position to fully open it while using the motorized liftgate after programming a lower height than fully open.
How do I turn the switch for the power liftgate?
- As soon as you are 6 feet away from the rear of your car, the logo projection will automatically turn on.
- Kick directly over the logo or, for earlier vehicles, at the sensor. Note: The sensor will not be activated by kicking straight within 5 inches of the bumper, sweeping the foot from side to side, or stepping on the projected logo.
- You will have time to safely exit before the liftgate opens. When the liftgate opens, the rear lights will flash and a chime will ring to let you know.
The liftgate can also be closed by kicking it:
- Kick directly at the sensor for earlier vehicles or over the projected logo.
- The liftgate will close after a 2-second delay, at which point the back lights will flash and a sound will chime.
Can the power liftgate be turned off?
When the Open Truck button is hit, the trunk will open entirely automatically if the power liftgate feature is enabled. With only a few simple actions, you can enable or disable this feature:
1. To get Settings to appear on the instrument panel, press the Up/Down and OK buttons on the steering wheel.
2. When Convenience appears, press the OK button after pressing the Up/Down buttons.
3. To display the Power Liftgate, press the Up/Down and OK buttons simultaneously.
4. Choose either Disabled or Enabled.
How do power liftgates function?
The gist of it is that a power liftgate opens and closes automatically when triggered by your key fob, a button inside your car, or, in the case of some vehicles, by waving your foot beneath the bumper.
How are hands-free tailgates activated?
Your key fob should be in your hand, pocket, or bag as you approach the rear of your car.
Kick your foot in and out from under the middle of the rear bumper in one swift, straight motion. Make careful to kick the bumper 5 inches or less away.
When your liftgate opens or closes, your taillights will flash and a bell will ring.
On a Honda Pilot, how do you reset the tailgate power?
When the tailgate begins to open, press and hold the power tailgate button on the dashboard. If you want to halt it or make it go backwards, press it once more.
Can a Jeep electric liftgate be closed by hand?
Avoid manually opening or closing the liftgate by utilizing the Power Liftgate System. The electric Power Liftgate System could become damaged with this kind of action.
How is the trunk on a Mercedes closed?
If your car has a convenient shutting option for the trunk lid, press closing button 1. Vehicles featuring KEYLESS-GO and a convenient feature for closing the trunk lid: On the trunk lid, press locking button number 2. The trunk lid will close and the car will lock if a SmartKey is seen outside the vehicle.
How can I tell if my solenoid is defective?
As a result, the following are typical indications of a malfunctioning starter solenoid:
- Engine won’t start or crank.
- When starting the engine, there is no clicking sound.
- Starter spins but the flywheel isn’t fully engaged
- Slow engine cranking
- Evaluate the battery.
- Check to see if the starter solenoid is receiving power.
How can a solenoid’s functionality be verified?
A solenoid is made up of an armature, a tube, and a coil. The solenoid coil, which is active in the circuit, is susceptible to wear. A solenoid’s major component, the solenoid coil, is replaceable when it breaks down. But how do we know whether it’s good or bad?
Here’s how to use a digital multimeter to inspect solenoid coils. Typically, a digital multimeter is used to measure resistance, current, and voltage in volts. It is a simple-to-use diagnostic tool for the electrical industry.
- Set your multimeter to ohms in step 1. Set the multimeter to 2k ohms if it is not automatic.
- Step 2: Cross the pins of a solenoid coil with the multimeter’s probes. If there are three pins there, the flat pin that is attached to the ground is one of them. You must use the multimeter to connect the other two pins.
- Step 3: Check the multimeter’s reading. The resistance of a functioning solenoid coil typically falls within a specified range. This range varies across manufacturers, but it is unquestionably not zero. Zero ohms indicates that the coil is shorted. The coil is open, but the wire inside is broken, according to the infinite read.
certain instances. On the digital multimeter, you may occasionally see a normal reading, but the coil may not be working. You can now activate the solenoids by placing a screwdriver near the armature. The coil is sound if there is a magnet nearby. If not, it is bad and you should change to a new one.
If you adhere to the aforementioned guidelines, testing a solenoid coil will be simple. Replace your defective solenoid coil with a new one if you do have one. A solenoid coil can be changed with relative ease.
What functions a liftgate solenoid performs?
The workings of a liftgate hydraulic system are briefly described here. When the toggle switch in the control box is in the “UP” position, electricity is sent to the motor start solenoid, which powers the pump and forces hydraulic fluid into the cylinder through the high pressure hose.
How much does repairing a tailgate handle cost?
You might have to pay $5 to $480 for a new tailgate latch handle. Its material, type, location, and set inclusions are all variables that could affect the price. Depending on where you live, labor costs also vary, but they are generally in the $30 to $150 range.