Find the tiny odometer button in the instrument panel’s lower left corner. until the service message shows, press and hold. When the message says “Reset,” let go of the button and press and hold it once more.
In This Article...
On a 2016 BMW, how do you reset the maintenance light?
2. To make the service indicator light appear, press and hold the Set/Reset button for 10 seconds. Scroll the service menu by repeatedly pressing the Set/Reset button.
3. If the service item is past due, the message “Reset executable” will appear. By holding down the Set/Reset button for 3 seconds, the reset will begin.
4. You’ll see the message “Execute reset?” Press the Set/Reset button one more for three seconds to confirm the reset. ‘Reset running’ will be indicated on a progress bar.
5. The message “Reset successful” is displayed to validate the reset.
6. Switch off the ignition. To make sure the indicator has been reset, start the engine.
How can the service light be turned off on a BMW?
- Start the electrical systems of the car, but do not start the engine.
- Till the service notice shows, press and hold the tiny odometer button in the instrument panel’s lower left corner.
- When the message says “Reset,” let go of the button and press and hold it once more.
Why is my BMW’s service light on?
- Needs Oil Changes: When it is time for an oil change, your BMW service engine light will on. The goal is to inform you when the time and mileage limits for your current oil have been reached. If you keep using your engine without changing the oil, even the best repair shop won’t be able to fix it.
- Low Oil or Other Fluid Levels: The service engine light also warns of low transmission fluid, coolant, or oil levels. Due to these low levels, this safety feature works to protect your car’s components.
- Regular Scheduled Maintenance: The computer in your BMW is preprogrammed with the timings for your regularly scheduled maintenance. The service engine soon light signals that your car needs to be taken in for its scheduled maintenance.
Your BMW will live longer and retain its value if you have routine maintenance done on it. You will eventually harm your car’s engine and other parts if you neglect any regular maintenance.
With the right preventive maintenance, a well-built car like a BMW can last for hundreds of thousands of kilometres. If your service engine light turns on, consider it a chance to save money and ensure you have a dependable car to drive for many years.
On a BMW, how do you reset the red exclamation mark?
Start the engine, then move through the obc until you find the word RESET next to the “flat tyre” sign. To choose, press the stalk’s tip. A tick should display after about 5 seconds of pressing and holding; just drive away, and it will reset itself. Don’t wait for any confirmation because there are no other signs that it has done it.
All owners and aficionados of BMW’s 1 and 2 series have their own forum community. Join the conversation regarding performance, customizations, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!
What does “service due” mean on my BMW?
Service Vehicle: Your BMW needs service if this light is red. When it’s yellow, your BMW needs maintenance soon. It’s best to book a servicing appointment as soon as you can in either situation.
Why does the service light come on when I turn on my car?
The “Check Engine” or “Service Engine Soon” light suggests that your engine or transmission may need to be repaired or replaced. It indicates that there is a system breakdown with the fuel, transmission, ignition, or emissions rather than just requiring routine maintenance or repairs.
Why does my car seem to need maintenance?
Automakers put a service required light on the dashboard of cars as a safety measure for drivers. The computer keeps track of how many miles you travel and will remind you to maintain the engine at predetermined times. Your car’s engine will remain healthy and functional for a very long time if you carefully maintain it.
Although it might be used for other fluids or parts, the service required light is primarily used to alert drivers when it’s time to change the oil and filter. In the past, this light was comparable to the check engine light and might indicate that the system has discovered a defect. Now, the check engine light will indicate if a malfunction has been found, while this light is mostly meant to encourage the driver to change their fluids.